Buying or selling a home can be a complicated process. However, having a competent, qualified Realtor by your side can make the whole process much easier. But with so many Realtors in the market today, how do you know who is the right Realtor for you? Here are five suggestions that will help make choosing a Realtor easier:
- Make sure that the Realtor is certified – only real estate agents with the title “REALTOR” after their name actually belong to the world’s largest trade association of agents. This certification ensures that the Realtor abides by a code of ethics, is knowledgeable about real estate and participates in continuing education.
- Ask around and do your research – ask friends and family what Realtor they have used to buy and/or sell their home. Once you’ve narrowed down the list, do your own research on the Realtor. You can check Yelp, Google, LinkedIn and other online tools to see what others are saying about the Realtor and their experience with a particular agent.
- Interview a few Realtors and get them to evaluate your house if you’re selling. This provides you with the opportunity to meet the Realtor face-to-face and get a feel for their personality and professionalism. It also gives you a chance to see if the Realtor does his or her homework by researching recent comparable sales to determine a fair price for your home.
- Check references – ask the Realtor for references. Contact the references and ask about their experience with the Realtor and if they would work with the Realtor again in the future. The answer to that question can be very telling!
- If you are looking for the Realtor to sell your home, ask about how he or she plans on marketing your home for sale. You don’t want to hire a Realtor who will simply depend on the sign on the front lawn or an MLS listing to sell your house. A good Realtor makes use of various marketing tactics to sell homes and find out about new homes coming onto the market.
Real estate transactions can be complex and time consuming so make sure you have a professional to help you navigate through the process. In the same way that most of us hire professionals to cut our hair or do electrical work, it’s important to have a certified Realtor by your side when you are buying or selling a home. As always, if you have any questions or personal experiences to share, feel free to comment below!